[Snort-users] IDS provisioning site analysis tool?

Williams Jon WilliamsJonathan at ...2134...
Tue Apr 13 07:57:02 EDT 2004

That's all well and good for an installed IDS product, but it sounds to
me as if RNA is both a compensation for a lack of administrator
knowledge and an ongoing false-positive reduction technique.  I think
what I'm looking for is more of a tool to help admins understand what
their environment is prior to deploying IDS.

Most of this is based on my experiences with my current IDS setup.  If I
only relied on the snort.org rulesets, I'd be missing a whole slew of
traffic that, while not hostile from the signature standpoint, is at a
minimum anomalous (i.e. IP addresses that are not our sourcing traffic
that is destined to IP addresses which are also not our, etc.) and at
worst point to serious chinks in our network armor.  We've done a number
of tcpdump experiments, gradually winnowing out stuff that we don't want
to see and it has helped us develop custom rules that are extremely good
at finding these oddities.  I was hoping to find either a tool or enough
people interested in such a tool to get one written.

Jon