[Snort-users] IDS provisioning site analysis tool?

Martin Roesch roesch at ...1935...
Tue Apr 13 07:33:51 EDT 2004

Hi Jon,

I think our RNA product can help you, it performs passive OS
identification, passive service protocol identification (including
vendor and version ID), flow logging, passive vulnerability inference,
target (host) modeling, etc.

To address your "feature list", RNA can do the following things:

- Connection summaries (flow logging/analysis)
- Passive OS & Service fingerprinting including identification of
service vendor/version
- List of services/vendors/versions & host models for rules selection

It doesn't produce automatic rule tuning at this point, I think that
that feature will show up in the future though.

RNA is a commercial product though, so I don't know how that might fit
with budgetary constraints you might have.

One thing you might consider if you *do* have a budget is that
Sourcefire is offering a Snort Agent product now that can transport
event data from open source sensors up to the Sourcefire Management
Console (MC) for analysis/reporting/incident management.  Our version
3.1.2 update for the MC that's coming out this week includes an Impact
Correlator that analyzes events coming from the IDSes against RNA's
network/vulnerability map and can gauge the impact of an event based on
the real-time assessment of your network environment.  This is pretty
cool because it's independent of the arbitrary priority field in Snort
rules that may or may not have any relevance to your actual network.

Anyway, enough marketing foo.  If you want to try to wire something
together with open source parts you could probably do so with a variety
of pieces parts and a bunch of perl, depends on how much time you've
got...

      -Marty