[Snort-users] Snort testing

David Nardoni dnardoni at ...11606...
Thu Apr 8 06:23:03 EDT 2004

I am very new to snort and I am need some help on getting it running
correctly.  It appears that snort is running but not accumulating alerts. I
followed the SNORT, PHP, Apache, MySQL and ACID install guide by Patrick
Harper.

Here is what I get when I run ps -ef | grep snort
 /usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -I eth0 -g snort -D

When I run a nmap scan on the ip address it does not generate any alerts.

This is a system set up on a local LAN attached to a hub.

I have even run sneeze and received no alerts.

Any help would be appreciated.

David Nardoni CISSP
First Response Consulting Services, Inc.
dnardoni at ...11606...