[Snort-users] Snort "Feel-Good"

AJ Butcher, Information Systems and Computing Alex.Butcher at ...11254...
Wed Apr 7 00:46:12 EDT 2004

--On 06 April 2004 09:16 -0500 Mark.Schutzmann at ...10438... wrote:

> The following is one problem that we won't (or shouldn't!) have to deal
> with :-)

[snip]

> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/vpndevc/ps4077/products_f
> ield_notice09186a00802109dc.shtml

[snip]

> Summary:An inductor on the motherboard of affected* 4235 and 4250 models
> of the Cisco Intrusion Detection System (IDS) fails, rendering the unit
> non functional. The affected units contain a defective inductor that may
> exhibit an electrical short on the motherboard after several months of
use > or longer.

<sense of humour="failed">

Er... I don't know about you, but I run Snort on an electronic computer.
What do you run Snort on that makes you think this will /never/ affect you?
:-)

Incidentally, last time I saw a Cisco IDS sensor, it was a re-badged Dell
PowerEdge (literally - there was a black sticker covering the Dell logo).
Based on the results of a Google image search, this looks as though it's
still the case for the 4235 and 4250.

Best Regards,
Alex.