[Snort-users] VLAN Tagged Traffic - Some being missed

Mark.Schutzmann at ...10438... Mark.Schutzmann at ...10438...
Mon Apr 5 08:04:10 EDT 2004

One more thing I forgot to add.... if you are using a C6500, then VACL
capture ports can be configured on any port in any VLAN. The capture port
only receives permitted traffic. No traffic can enter the switch through a
capture port. With Cisco IOS Software Release 12.1(11b)E or earlier, only
the Gigabit Ethernet monitor port on the IDS module can be configured as a
capture port.

Regards,
Mark

                      "Aaron" <snort at ...10572...>
                      Sent by:                            To:       snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
                      snort-users-admin at ...4626...        cc:
                      ceforge.net                         Subject:  [Snort-users] VLAN Tagged Traffic - Some being missed

                      04/04/2004 08:30 PM

Is there a trick to capturing traffic on Cisco capture ports?

As Cisco is dropping "mirror" ports and going to capture ports, I now
see vlan tagged traffic.  The network folks will not let me use mirror
ports any more since Cisco is removing that in future releases of
their IOS, from what I hear.

The problem is, that in that scenerio, I/Snort only see some of the
traffic.  Tcpdump also drops many of the packets.

38 packets captured
1414426 packets received by filter
1408138 packets dropped by kernel

That is using libpcap 0.8.3 and tcpdump 3.8.3.  Using older versions
of libpcap and tcpdump, I see the vlan tags in the output.  The latest
version does not show them.  Neither seems to capture all.

This is on a circuit pushing about 500 megs of traffic.  Even on the
sensors that only have less than 100 megs of traffic I get the same
results and about the same loss.

The snort sensors are dual P4 xeon 2.8Ghz boxes with 1GB ram and
ultra3 scsi disks.  I am using barnyard 0.2.0-rc2, not that it makes a
diff. Info only.

Does it matter that I am getting traffic from multiple vlans?  Can
Snort handle that?

Regards,

Aaron