[Snort-users] FATAL ERROR: Please activate spp_conversation before trying to ac tivate spp_portscan2

Erek Adams erek at ...950...
Mon Sep 29 07:45:24 EDT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Peters, Michael D. wrote:

> I would like to turn the portscan feature on. This is what I have in the
> config file enabled.
>
> preprocessor portscan: $HOME_NET 5 3
> /var/snort/portscan/home/home-portscan.log
> preprocessor portscan-ignorehosts:  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/32 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/32
> preprocessor portscan2: scanners_max 256, targets_max 1024, target_limit 5,
> port_limit 20, timeout 60
> preprocessor portscan2-ignorehosts: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/12
>
> I get this error in syslog: "FATAL ERROR: Please activate spp_conversation
> before trying to activate spp_portscan2"
>
> Can someone please point out to me what I am doing wrong or missing in the
> config?

1)  Only enable one.  Don't enable portscan _and_ portscan2.  Just use
one.
2)  Exactly as the error message says:  Enable spp_conversation.  If you
use ps2, then you must have spp_conversation enabled.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams