[Snort-users] FATAL ERROR: Please activate spp_conversation before trying to ac tivate spp_portscan2

Peters, Michael D. Michael.Peters at ...9763...
Mon Sep 29 07:33:12 EDT 2003

I would like to turn the portscan feature on. This is what I have in the
config file enabled.

preprocessor portscan: $HOME_NET 5 3
/var/snort/portscan/home/home-portscan.log
preprocessor portscan-ignorehosts:  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/32 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/32
preprocessor portscan2: scanners_max 256, targets_max 1024, target_limit 5,
port_limit 20, timeout 60
preprocessor portscan2-ignorehosts: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/12

I get this error in syslog: "FATAL ERROR: Please activate spp_conversation
before trying to activate spp_portscan2"

Can someone please point out to me what I am doing wrong or missing in the
config?

Best regards,

Michael D. Peters