[Snort-users] Filtering alerts

Erek Adams erek at ...950...
Tue Sep 23 03:53:10 EDT 2003

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Richard Brackett wrote:

> Yes, I saw that. That's why I upgraded to 2.0.2. :-)
>

> It doesn't help me with "noise" though. For example, I don't care about
> the various IIS related signatures that fire against my Citrix servers.
> They aren't vulnerable to those attacks. I don't want to turn the rule
> off though, because I have IIS servers and I never know when some yutz
> is going to put a new one up without patches.

It's called "rule tuning".

Offhand, I'd guess that you're running the standard default ruleset.  If
you are that's your trouble.  Those default rules aren't setup to be used
in a "real world" situation due to how noisy they are.  They are more
suited for some sort of small net with a low amount of traffic.

If using that, you simply need to go over each rule and decide how
important it is for your network.  Disable rules as needed, and fine tune
others.

You can also use BPF filters which saves you on processing overhead.
Check FAQ 3.9 [0].

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams