[Snort-users] Sort inline virus prevention

mike evans more_hops at ...131...
Sat Sep 20 16:25:03 EDT 2003

Sorry if this has already been aswered elsewhere.
Anyways what I want to do is setup a box to filter
traffic(smtp,http,ftp,...) for viruses.  It looks like
signatures can be setup to check for certain things
and drop packets accordingly.  The problem is it looks
like these signatures take some investigation and time
to write and by the time the signature comes out for
the newest virus I may already be infected.    How
soon after a virus outbreak do signatures get updated
usually?  Would you recommend snort for what I'm
trying to do or should I look elsewhere?  Is there a
way to plugin antivirus software to help with the
scanning?

Thanks a lot
Mike