[Snort-users] How to upgrade from Snort 1.9.1 to 2.0.1 Please ....

Slighter, Tim tslighter at ...5174...
Wed Sep 17 11:45:11 EDT 2003

my 1 rubles worth to do this the easiest way....  just rename your current
snort directory to say oldsnort (mv /usr/local/snort /usr/local/oldsnort)
and then build the recent snort-2.0.1 as /usr/local/snort and do your
./configure - make - make install and then after backing up all of your new
rules files and snort.conf, use the old files from your original snort build
as required to get things running.
-----Original Message-----
From: Snortty [mailto:cwcwcwg at ...131...]
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 11:53 AM
To: Erek Adams; Snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] How to upgrade from Snort 1.9.1 to 2.0.1
Please....

Erek,

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Still, not so sure yet about the upgrading steps.

I tried (without touching existing working snort
1.9.0)

# gzip -d -c snort-2.0.1.tar.gz |tar xvf -
# cd snort-2.0.1
#./configure
#make
error reported:
r cru libspo.a spo_alert_fast.o spo_alert_full.o
spo_alert_smb.o spo_alert_syslog.o
spo_alert_unixsock.o spo_csv.o spo_database.o
spo_log_null.o spo_log_tcpdump.o spo_unified.o
spo_log_ascii.o spo_alert_sf_socket.o
make[3]: ar: Command not found
make[3]: *** [libspo.a] Error 127
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/root/snortfile/snort-2.0.1/src/output-plugins'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/root/snortfile/snort-2.0.1/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/root/snortfile/snort-2.0.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

then.
#make install

Then,
#snort -V
still shows Snort Version 1.9.0 is running...

Do I need to remove/uninstall the existing 1.9.0
before install
2.0.1? and HOW to uninstall snort if needed in the
right way?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Snotty W.