[Snort-users] How to upgrade from Snort 1.9.1 to 2.0.1 Please....

Snortty cwcwcwg at ...131...
Wed Sep 17 10:54:08 EDT 2003

Erek,

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Still, not so sure yet about the upgrading steps.

I tried (without touching existing working snort
1.9.0)

# gzip -d -c snort-2.0.1.tar.gz |tar xvf -
# cd snort-2.0.1
#./configure
#make
error reported:
r cru libspo.a spo_alert_fast.o spo_alert_full.o
spo_alert_smb.o spo_alert_syslog.o
spo_alert_unixsock.o spo_csv.o spo_database.o
spo_log_null.o spo_log_tcpdump.o spo_unified.o
spo_log_ascii.o spo_alert_sf_socket.o
make[3]: ar: Command not found
make[3]: *** [libspo.a] Error 127
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/root/snortfile/snort-2.0.1/src/output-plugins'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/root/snortfile/snort-2.0.1/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/root/snortfile/snort-2.0.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

then.
#make install

Then,
#snort -V
still shows Snort Version 1.9.0 is running...

Do I need to remove/uninstall the existing 1.9.0
before install
2.0.1? and HOW to uninstall snort if needed in the
right way?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Snotty W.