[Snort-users] Scaling issue - faster to log to local SQL?

James Affeld jimmythegeek at ...4215...
Fri Sep 5 12:30:04 EDT 2003

I have a Sun Ultra5 Sparc64 box to use as a snort box.  I'm running OpenBSD 3.3 on it.

I plan to log to mysql and run ACID to be able to see what's going on.

As a general rule, is there more overhead logging across the net to an external mysql server?  mysql says it's optimized for linux, rather than openbsd, and I could keep that linux box on a private network with the ids console interface.

This will be reviewing traffic on a 100 mbit net.