[Snort-users] RE: Problems with HOME_NET and EXTERNAL_NET var 's

Erek Adams erek at ...950...
Tue Sep 2 04:27:06 EDT 2003

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Lauts, Anthony wrote:

> I am starting automaically via init.d, when i do a ps -ef it shows that it
> started as such...
> /usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth0 -D
>
> When I see the error, I start it as ...
> /usr/local/bin/snort -i eth0 -n 1 -c /etc/snort/x11.rules

Perfectly normal.

You always start Snort by calling the config file, not the rules file. The
snort.conf file is where the definitions for the variables are.  Without
it, you'll get the error every time.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams