[Snort-users] Is it really a HUB?

kenw at ...10492... kenw at ...10492...
Fri Nov 28 15:31:05 EST 2003

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 15:37:46 -0500, you wrote:

>At 03:16 PM 11/28/2003, you wrote:
>
>>Interesting.  I personally use a NetGear DS104 dual-speed hub, specially
>>purchased for such work.  I've never seen that behavior.  I do, though,
>>have to watch the port speed lights carefully, and hard-set the NIC
>>interface speed at times.
>
>Actually I just looked at it.. it's not a netgear, it's a linksys "network
>everywhere" NH1005 v2.
>
>The "square blue box" look which I distinctly remembered about the device
>confused me into thinking it was a netgear.
>
>This device really does have a very similar look to netgear products:
>http://networkeverywhere.com/products/nh1005.asp

Did some digging.  It's not clear who actually makes it; a search of the
the LinkSys web site doesn't turn any references to it.

FWIW, I did find someone else who complained of the same problem with that
device.  Apparently it's actually a switch.  I get the feeling
manufacturers are starting to find it cheaper to make switches than hubs.
It's a floor wax/desert topping -- it's a hubswitch!

Pretty soon hubs may become expensive test gear, like taps.  Who knows,
they might even come with buttons to control port speed and disable bridge
learning/MAC filtering.

/kenw
Ken Wallewein CDP,CNE,MCSE,CCA,CCNA
K&M Systems Integration