[Snort-users] Libnet make fatal error

Jeff Nathan jeff at ...950...
Thu Nov 20 14:37:07 EST 2003

Snort with flexresp uses libnet-1.0.2a, not libnet-1.x.

(The quickest way to determine which version of libnet to use with
Snort is to read the mailing list archives which discuss this every few
days).

Second, the problem you mentioned with gethostbyname2 was posted to the
Libnet mailing list by Russ fink back in August.  Libnet-1.0.2a (for
Unix-like systems) isn't really maintained by anyone.

There have been a number of patches applied to libnet-1.0.2a over the
past couple years.  I'll propose an updated version of libnet-1.0.2
that rolls in all the win32 changes as well as fixes the other bugs
(including this one) still lingering.

What this means to you as a Snort user is that you're not going to be
able to compile libnet without modifying the source code yourself.  If
you're comfortable with that, send me a message directly and we can
discuss how to fix this.

- -Jeff