[Snort-users] Problem with Snort 2.0.4 and Snort Rules

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Tue Nov 18 11:22:07 EST 2003

At 11:54 AM 11/18/2003, Mark Ewert wrote:
>I'm having a strange problem with Snort 2.0.4 and the latest rules. When I
>execute Snort I get the following messages in /var/log/messages. I'm
>running Snort 2.0.4 with Phil Wood's Ring PCAP library. Anyone have any ideas?

snortrules-current requires snort-current, not snort-2.0.4.

"current" == "unstable development branch"

"current" explicitly does not mean "current release version".. that's what
"stable" means.

Many other open source projects use this convention.. ie: debian, openbsd,
freebsd, etc.

Use the stable rules with 2.0.4, or just the rules that come with 2.0.4,
but the "current" rules are never guaranteed to work with anything but the
"current" version of snort, which is a development snapshot not a numbered
release.