[Snort-users] HP Printers - SNMP Public Access udp

bdushok at ...10589... bdushok at ...10589...
Tue Nov 18 09:11:08 EST 2003

I'm new to Snort and have been tweaking my configuration for the past
couple of weeks.  I've been noticing a LOT of "SNMP Public Access udp"
alerts being generated.  They appear to be caused by clients (appear to be
Win2K) connecting to HP Printers containing Jet Direct cards.  I was
considering writing pass rules to avoid these alerts, but am wondering if
that's a good idea.  Has anyone seen this sort of network activity?  Does
it indicate something configured incorrectly either on the client or with
the Jet Direct unit?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob