[Snort-users] Attack on snort running in Public Zone

Lucretia Enterprises Administrator info at ...2282...
Tue Nov 18 07:23:15 EST 2003

What did you do to stop the services from broadcasting on your connection?

  -----Original Message-----
  From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net]On Behalf Of crtech
  Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 3:05 PM
  To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
  Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Attack on snort running in Public Zone

  I run snort on a Win2k box.  I have placed it outside our network so that
we may see what is trying to get in.  In the future we plan to add one to
the inside.  (We are just learning right now)  When I installed the OS on
this box I made sure that I had all the patches and updates.  I also tried
to look everything down that I could come up with.  The final protection was
that I did not assign that NIC an IP address.  It can not send anything so
it is my understanding that it will not be able to be hacked.

  Lynn