[Snort-users] Attack on snort running in Public Zone

crtech crtech at ...10582...
Tue Nov 18 06:46:30 EST 2003

I run snort on a Win2k box.  I have placed it outside our network so that we may see what is trying to get in.  In the future we plan to add one to the inside.  (We are just learning right now)  When I installed the OS on this box I made sure that I had all the patches and updates.  I also tried to look everything down that I could come up with.  The final protection was that I did not assign that NIC an IP address.  It can not send anything so it is my understanding that it will not be able to be hacked.

Lynn
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: KS
  To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
  Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 9:18 AM
  Subject: [Snort-users] Attack on snort running in Public Zone

  Helllo Everybody.

  I have snort running on win2k and it is working fine so far.I had placed it in DMZ to monitor the malicious traffic passing through firewall and Now i want to put another snort win2k system in Public zone i.e in between my router and firewall so i can know which traffic is actually hitting the outside interface of my firewall.
  My concern is :  Since my snort system ( win2k ) is gonna be on public IP address , what will happen if somebody runs a Denial of service attack on my snort system itself.
  How can i be sure that my snort system running on win2k is safe from DOS attack ?

  Thanks
  KS