[Snort-users] Snort 2.0.4 on OpenBSD 3.4 is dropping packets

JP Vossen vossenjp at ...8683...
Mon Nov 17 13:06:22 EST 2003

> From: dlbox at ...5068...
> To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:21:52 +0000
> Subject: [Snort-users] Snort 2.0.4 on OpenBSD 3.4 is dropping packets
>
> Hello,
>
> I was hoping someone could help me out here. I have Snort 2.0.4 installed
> on a new OpenBSD 3.4 system.
>
> Here is my system configuration:

<snip>

> I am using a NetOptics Fiber Tap to monitor traffic. OpenBSD and Snort
> work fine, except that I notice that Snort drops packets, where the
> packets. I have tuned Snort (rules, binary logging, etc,) to reduce
> dropped packets, but I am wondering the following:

<snip>

You may want to look at this paper on OS Scalability [0].  Very interesting,
and many bad things to say about OpenBSD's speed or lack thereof. :-(

Later,
JP

[0] http://bulk.fefe.de/scalability/
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|         jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
You used to have to reboot the Windows 9.x series every couple of days
because it would crash.  Now you have to reboot Windows 200x or XP every
couple of days because of a patch.  How is that better or more stable?