[Snort-users] RE: Attack on snort running in Public Zone

KS kanwaljeet at ...10300...
Fri Nov 14 16:16:12 EST 2003

Is anyone out there who can help ????????

-----Original Message-----
From: KS [mailto:kanwaljeet at ...10300...]
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 8:48 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Attack on snort running in Public Zone

  Helllo Everybody.

  I have snort running on win2k and it is working fine so far.I had placed
it in DMZ to monitor the malicious traffic passing through firewall and Now
i want to put another snort win2k system in Public zone i.e in between my
router and firewall so i can know which traffic is actually hitting the
outside interface of my firewall.
  My concern is :  Since my snort system ( win2k ) is gonna be on public IP
address , what will happen if somebody runs a Denial of service attack on my
snort system itself.
  How can i be sure that my snort system running on win2k is safe from DOS
attack ?

  Thanks
  KS