[Snort-users] Snort Machines

Stacy J. Brandenburg sbranden at ...4096...
Fri Nov 14 13:21:18 EST 2003

 From what I have seen you money is probably better used in getting a
single proc system with the fastest CPU you can get.  Dual CPU's
depending on the setup/OS/etc does not get you anything if the
application is not going to make use of it.

I am running snort on a twin 1.4GHz P3 CPU, Red Hat Enterprise Linux
2.1AS machine and only one CPU is used for snort.  Now I am also pushing
750Mb/s to it and the second proc is used in handling the interrupts for
the NIC.

So it really depends on how you want to use the system.

Friesz, Ross wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I plan on purchasing a new machine to run snort.  Currently I have a P3 500
> with 512 MB RAM and an 18 Gig drive.  What I would like to know is what
> others are using.
>
> I was looking at an HP with dual processors and 36 GB SCSI drives.  Probably
> would put in 1 GB Ram.
>

> Has anyone used something like this, or would you recommend a different type
> of system?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ross

= Stacy J. Brandenburg                    Red Hat Inc. =
= Sr. Network Engineer           http://www.redhat.com =
= 919-754-3700 x44313              sbranden at ...4096... =