[Snort-users] Snort Machines

Duke Ionescu duke at ...10559...
Fri Nov 14 13:14:07 EST 2003

Friesz, Ross said the following on 11/14/2003 2:50 PM:
> I plan on purchasing a new machine to run snort.  Currently I have a P3
> 500 with 512 MB RAM and an 18 Gig drive.  What I would like to know is
> what others are using.

Without knowing what network you'll be analyzing (i.e. is it 10 machines
on 10Mbps Ethernet or 1000 machines on Gigabit?) it's impossible to give
you a recommendation that's based on anything.

At home I'm using a Celeron 400 with 384 RAM that also has many other
duties (including the relaying of this message).  On a production
network I use a 2.4GHz P4 that also has other duties (although all are
administrative); and it sniffs on a Gigabit interface the traffic of
about 6 servers.  I could probably put the Celeron in it's place and it
wouldn't miss a beat.