[Snort-users] Turbo patch/PACKET_RX_RING with 2.4.x kernels

Scott Zawalski scott.zawalski at ...5689...
Sat Nov 8 01:14:02 EST 2003

I recently upgraded my kernel from a Redhat recompiled kernel to a
kernel I compiled myself. I now no longer have PACKET_RX_RING support. I
have read the READ ME.linux as many times as possible :) I have both
CONFIG_FILTER and CONFIG_PACKET selected. I could not find a turbo patch
for any 2.4 kernels so I assumed it was incorporated. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Also would a 2.6 kernel possibly boost performance or is that not worth
it? 2.2 maybe?

I am using the E1000 driver and I read something about hacked drivers
lowering packet loss I only found drivers though for 2.2 kernels. Do
most of you guys run with the current 2.4 stable or do you go for the
2.2 kernel?

Thank you,
Scott