[Snort-users] Ref Error 1067

Michael Steele michaels at ...9077...
Fri Nov 7 18:53:15 EST 2003

Bill,

It shouldn't make any difference about the rules, of course if you have an
include pointing to a non-existent .rules file Snort will fail to start at
all. As long as the includes match an existing .rules file then there should
be no problem, unless of course there is an error in one of the rules.

These are the correct settings for the rules in snort.conf for Windows.

var RULE_PATH d:\IDS\Snort\rules

include $RULE_PATH/nntp.rules

Note: I'm assuming that you meant "$rule_path\" instead of "$rule_set\"?

To check your configuration from the command prompt type:

<FULL_PATH>\snort.exe -c <FULL_PATH>\snort.conf -l <FULL_PATH>\log -ix -T

Note: I the switch '-ix' the 'x' is the interface number that can be derived
from using: '<FULL_PATH>\snort.exe -W'

Error 1067 is usually associated with a connection problem. Also be sure to
check your Event Log under Application for the reason.

Cheers...

-Michael Steele
--
 System Engineer / Security Support Technician
 mailto:michaels at ...9077...