[Snort-sigs] RE: [Snort-users] Who doesn't care about virus rules, and why?

Abe Use neosporin1v1 at ...125...
Fri Nov 7 05:54:15 EST 2003

Symantec writes great rules for IDS such as snort.
or they have enough of the worm/virus documanted to write a good alert
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/detecting.traffic.due.to.rpc.worms.html

the've done better work like this

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.bugbear.b@...3071...
(about 3/4 the way down tha page begins the IDS sig for bugbear)

I believe they provide these for thier ManHunt software, however, they
easily work in SNORT.

Granted they don't always have them for every virus, but if you could
decipher their ManHunt rules, you may get a better place to start!

(these too seem out of date...)
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/security/Content/2003.10.20.html

Your best bet, write your own. Get ethereal or windump- find a infected
machine- isolate it that pc, and watch it's traffic. Look for unique
behaviour and or data- try try again...