[Snort-users] Snort with IPSec

Ravi Kumar ravivsn at ...9637...
Wed Nov 5 21:10:13 EST 2003

Hi,
  You cant decrypt the packets unless you know the keys IPSec is using
currently, With IKE the security gateways exchange keys periodically and
as well on number of bytes transfered. As the keys changes every now and
then you cant decrypt the packets.

Moreover IPSec/IKE  uses encryption algorithms like 3DES and AES which
have no history of breaking them.

The solutions could be
  - your VPN box and Snort should work in touch with each about the keys
used currently.
  - OR you run snort in LAN behind the security gateway VPN box
  - If you are using VPN client on machines then better run HIDS on the
machine.

IF you can make snort to decrypt the packets then it is going to be a
big security threat!!

Cheers,
Best Regards,
Ravi
Rendezvous On Chip (i) Pvt Ltd,
Hyderabad,
INDIA
http://www.roc.co.in
iSecure -A complete security gateway device.