[Snort-users] Problems compiling 2.0.3 on windows.

snort user snortuser at ...125...
Wed Nov 5 14:02:07 EST 2003

I have always compiled snort with MSVC6.0 just fine but when I tried to
compile 2.0.3 I get the following error. Can someone tell me what I need to
do to correct this? I manually ran MC.EXE on the name.mc and it worked fine,
but for some reason it thinks there is more that one arguement when doing it
through MSVC.

--------------------Configuration: snort - Win32 StdDB Service
Release--------------------
Performing Custom Build Step on "..\WIN32-Code\name.mc"
MC: may only specify one message file to compile.
MC: may only specify one message file to compile.
MC: may only specify one message file to compile.
MC: may only specify one message file to compile.
MC: may only specify one message file to compile.
MC: may only specify one message file to compile.
Microsoft (R) Message Compiler  Version 1.00.5239
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1992-1995. All rights reserved.
usage: MC [-?vcdwso] [-m maxmsglen] [-h dirspec] [-e extension] [-r dirspec]
[-x dbgFileSpec] [-u] [-U] filename.mc
       -? - displays this message
       -v - gives verbose output.
       -c - sets the Customer bit in all the message Ids.
       -d - FACILTY and SEVERITY values in header file in decimal.
            Sets message values in header to decimal initially.
       -w - warns if message text contains non-OS/2 compatible inserts.
       -s - insert symbolic name as first line of each message.
       -o - generate OLE2 header file (use HRESULT definition instead of
            status code definition)
       -m maxmsglen - generate a warning if the size of any message exceeds
                      maxmsglen characters.
       -h pathspec - gives the path of where to create the C include file
                     Default is .\
       -e extension - Specify the extension for the header file.
                      From 1 - 3 chars.
       -r pathspec - gives the path of where to create the RC include file
                     and the binary message resource files it includes.
       -x pathspec - gives the path of where to create the .dbg C include
                        file that maps message Ids to their symbolic name.
       -u - input file is Unicode.
       -U - messages in .BIN file should be Unicode.
       filename.mc - gives the names of a message text file
                     to compile.
       Generated files have the Archive bit cleared.
Error executing c:\winnt\system32\cmd.exe.

snort.exe - 1 error(s), 1 warning(s)