[Snort-users] welchia rule

Mark.Schutzmann at ...10438... Mark.Schutzmann at ...10438...
Wed Nov 5 13:48:55 EST 2003

Paul,

This is an excellent rule- I also immediately detected a couple of rogue
computers. Thanks for sharing. Is there a way to (or how did you) determine
how many packets/hits per second/minute that an event is triggering the
snort rule?

Thanks,
 Mark

                      "Schmehl, Paul L"
                      <pauls at ...6838...>                To:       "Leonard Miller" <Leonard.Miller at ...7710...>,
                      Sent by:                             <snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net>, <dortega at ...10460...>
                      snort-users-admin at ...4626...        cc:
                      ceforge.net                         Subject:  RE: [Snort-users] welchia rule

                      11/04/2003 04:11 PM

No sooner did I send the updated rule and I began to see some alerts for
non-infected boxes, so I upped the "count" value to 1000.  An infected
box will generate 2500 alerts a minute or more, so it could be moved
higher.  I'm just trying to be conservative.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at ...6838...)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member