[Snort-users] Fallacies and lies.

Bob Walder bwalder at ...1926...
Wed Nov 5 13:47:06 EST 2003

Rich,

All good points - and believe me I am well aware of Gartner's target
audience and exactly why they keep spouting drivel such as this.

However, what gets me is the fact that the poor techie guys who have to
actually fight the fires on a daily basis and implement this stuff have
to keep convincing management that deep inspection firewalls are NOT
actually the way to go at this moment in time, and YES we DO need IDS,
and NO it will NOT become obsolete as soon as we have bought it (well,
no more than any other piece of computer equipment/technology will....)

I genuinely believe that Gartner is not helping the cause here. In fact
I would go so far as to say they are actively hindering it. In the
current climate of more and more complex and effective worms being
released every week, I consider their behaviour to be irresponsible.
Still, as long as they get their sales, eh?

Regards,

Bob Walder

This message is intended for the addressee only and may contain
information that may be of a privileged or confidential nature. If you
have received this message in error, please notify the sender and
destroy the message immediately. Unauthorised use or reproduction of
this message is strictly prohibited.