[OT] [Snort-users] Firing off Abuse email based on Snort Traffic

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Fri May 30 15:03:06 EDT 2003

As a slightly off-topic note, but something the snort community might find
interesting, this thread was referenced by Fydor (author of nmap) in his
recent interview on Slashdot:

http://interviews.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/05/30/1148235&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=172&tid=95

-----
Now I'll admit that I don't always obtain explicit permission before
scanning other networks. I don't believe (but IANAL) that a simple port/OS
scan of a remote system is or should be illegal. Any machine connected to
the Internet will be scanned so often that most admins ignore such "white
noise" anyhow. But scan other networks often enough, and someone will
eventually complain
----
where the word someone is a link to this thread:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=2466036&forum_id=3972