Foreign Attacks (was Re: [Snort-users] Firing off Abuse email based on Snort Traffic)

bmcdowell at ...7861... bmcdowell at ...7861...
Fri May 30 06:57:09 EDT 2003

I too have noticed that most of the high-scoring offenders appear to be
Asian.  (Of course, there's no way to know that those Asian haven't been
somehow hijacked, but that's another topic...)  Since my firm provides a
mostly-domestic product, I wonder if it wouldn't be best just to black
hole that whole continent.  Or, for that matter, everything but North
America.  It seems extreme, but since it shouldn't necessarily cost me
any business, I haven't totally dismissed it yet.

As I see it, there is no good reason to pursue (on your own) an attack
from outside your native land.  I have never imagined myself working
hand-in-hand with, say, Korean law enforcement to track down a hacker.

Has anyone else on the list had any positive experiences with foreign
law enforcement?  Does anyone take a different stance toward foreign
IP's?

Just curious...