[Snort-users] Am I in the right place? (was: Tips for using ACID in a multi-adm in environment)

Williams Jon WilliamsJonathan at ...2134...
Thu May 29 12:04:05 EDT 2003

I apologize if this seems a bit troll-like, I don't intend it to be.  I
posted this message a couple of weeks ago and got zero responses.  A few
days later, someone else asked about Fortune 500 users and I saw, I think,
one response.  While I read this list a lot, I'm starting to wonder if I'm
asking questions in the right place.

I've been using snort for a while now, something like 2-3 years, and am
monitoring a moderate amount of traffic (i.e. the busiest box is watching
between 50-60 mbps sustained during business hours, and I've got several
scattered across multiple timezones).  I believe, rightly or wrongly, that
I've gone through the same phases that I see a lot of people go through on
this list (how do I build it, why doesn't it run, why do I get so many
alerts for stuff I don't care about, how do I write a custom rule) and am
now starting to ask other questions, like the one below.  Since I don't get
any response, I'm not sure if a) people are too concerned about their
corporate security to share, b) are willing to share but are no longer on
this particularl list, c) are willing to answer, but my situation is unique,
or d) there's no answer to my problems.

So, is there a better list for advanced snort issues and/or enterprise snort
deployment questions?  If not, are there people on this list who've gone
through these issues and don't want to discuss them in a public forum?  As I
said, I'm not trying to be a rabble-rouser, it's just that the great support
from the mailing list was one of the selling points when I convinced
management to go Open Source, so it's a bit confusing/embarassing when I
send out questions that get no response at all.

Thanks!

Jon