[Snort-users] how to start snort service on win2000 pro successfully?

qxw14 at ...9315... qxw14 at ...9315...
Wed May 28 07:41:23 EDT 2003

Hello ,
I tried to install Snort on Win2000 Professional. But I don't think the docoment of "Snort's Place in a Windows 2000 Environment" is much helpful. After reading it, I don't know how to start snort service.
Then I followed the "Snort Installation Manual--Snort, MySQL, ACID, & Apache" from SILICON DEFENSE. I configed the snort.conf according to instructioin. When I tried to start snort service, the following error occured.

C:\Applications\Snort\bin>net start snort
The Snort service is starting.
The Snort service could not be started.

A system error has occurred.

System error 1067 has occurred.

The process terminated unexpectedly.

There are only two things I am not sure:
1. var HOME_NET any
I only wanted to monitor my own host. Since my IP address is assigned dynamically, I changed it to:
var HOME_NET $(interfacename}_ADDRESS)
(notes: I obtain the interfacename from the command "snort -W")

2. snort /SERVICE /INSTALL -c c:\applications\snort\etc\snort.conf -l c:\applications\snort\log –i1
x is noted to be the number of the NIC for Snort to sniff on. But I don't know what's the meaning of NIC.

Is there anybody who can give me kind advice?

Thanks
QY