[Snort-users] Problems with logging to mysql db

Donnie Green d_greenjr at ...125...
Sun May 25 22:34:03 EDT 2003

1) I am running snort 2.0 on RH8.0.
Snort is running fine when logging to /var/log/snort/

2) I installed mysql.
mysql is running fine BY ITSELF

3) Next, I configured snort with mysql and executed the snort scripts.
The snort db & tables are present

4) I edited the line in snort.conf to read
output database: log, mysql, user=snort password= dbname=snort
host=localhost

(The user snort in the mysql db does not have a password so I left it blank
in snort.conf)

5) I restart mysql and snort

Problem:
When I start snort now, I get the message "SNORT is up and running!", but
when I execute the command "ps -ef | grep snort" snort is not running. ( The
mysql db is)