[Snort-users] A Working Logsurfer Example for Snort 2.0

Fri May 23 16:38:04 EDT 2003

Welldone, Matt!

I may use it but for now I am only looking for priority 1 events and
problems like lost connection to the DB or crashes. Maybe I can send you
that ones tomorow, if you wish.

Logsurfer is a pretty cool thing. For more on regular expressions I
can recommend the O'Reilly book Mastering Regular Expressions. If you
want to learn how to write good (=fast) regex take a look, it's a great
book and really a not boring one.

However, I've noticed a strange thing with logsurfer. With big rule
files (> 200 lines) it may crash for some reason. I have one such file
for my /var/log/messages, writing many comments, in order to remember
later, what I have done. I used to use many empty lines in between the
rules too. After the file reached 250 lines logsurfer crashed again and
again, with a strange error message. Instead of empty lines I put '#'
and logsurfer was doing fine, then.

Just in case...

Best regards,

Edin