AW: [Snort-users] Syslog,MySql, IDS Center /Eagle X

Ueli Kistler iuk at ...1171...
Tue May 20 02:42:07 EDT 2003

Yes IDScenter 1.1 RC2 does support Snort 2.0.. but don't set "Include
ARP packets (-a)" option.. this option was removed.. another problem is
Syslog support:
workaround when you want to use Syslog:
- Add syslog plugin normally using Output plugins wizard
- Apply
- Go to the Snort configuration file editor panel (Snort.conf).. scroll
down until you see something like this.. : output syslog: .....
- Change it to: output syslog: host=myhost:myport, ....
- Yes it is a comma not a space ;)

A 100% Snort 2.0 supporting version of IDScenter (.. distance, within,
byte_jump, byte_test keywords, new inline configuration options.. etc.)
is already programmed,
but not released yet. Some other new cool features are: SQL queries for
reports (HTML output, DNS queries are done using a very fast
multithreaded code (by me .. ;) )).. the SQL queries work even using
AlertMail, what's new about alertmail, is also that it is a thread, so
the application is no longer blocked for a while.

More details about SQL queries -> HTML output:
  - Decoding of packet information
    - TCP Flags
    - Payload decoding (format: "encoded payload ASCII=decoded
payload"): Hex to Ascii, Base64 to Ascii
      - non-printable caracters are replaced by a red `
    - etc... ;)

The Ruleset manager can now sort the rules by clicking on the columns
(also the classifications can be sorted like this).
I also reviewed some code (bug fixes included).. a Whois lookup is
available from the internal logviewer.

Another cool feature is the use of Oinkmaster (perl script by Andreas
Östling)... IDScenter can write the whole configuration file for you and
has also a HTTP client which checks for new rule updates (Details: using
Last-Modified field for this, minimum interval is 15min.. we don't want
to slow down www.snort.org)

Concerning Syslog support of Snort: IDScenter 1.1 RC3 (my dev version)
does support both.. Snort 1.8/1.9 and Snort 2.0 setup of the syslog
plugin...

Ok.. sorry that it's not yet available ;) .. i just wanted to add
something else before releasing it..

NOTE: www.packx.net is *no longer* the official site for IDScenter!..
The next release is available on www.engagesecurity.com (not online for
now).