[Snort-users] IP Header Data Type Preference

L. Christopher Luther CLuther at ...6333...
Fri May 16 13:31:13 EDT 2003

David,

MySQL provides a function that will decode the INT representation of an IP
address and return a decimal-dotted string.  Check out the INET_NTOA()
function in the MySQL docs [0].

Cheers!

Christopher

[0] http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Miscellaneous_functions.html

-----Original Message-----
From: David Markle [mailto:davidmarkle at ...5068...]
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2003 3:32 PM
To: Snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] IP Header Data Type Preference

I need some advice on IP Header Data types with a database, say MySQL.  The
MySQL snort database defines IP address information as INT (integer) (i.e.
ip_src/ip_dst in the iphdr table).  Is there a computational benefit to this
within the database or does it really matter.

For example, I could define ip_src (source IP Address) as CHAR(15) rather
than INT.  This would preserve the quad dotted notation in the address.  The
INT definition does not preserve this.  I guess this is my problem.  If the
field does not preserve the dotted notation, how is it addressed in
processing ???   Short uses INT field definitions for ip_src and ip_dst in
the iphdr table.  How is it ultimately references as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx after
its placed into the database ???

Thanks in advance.

dm