[Snort-users] Who can explain this?where is the bottleneck?

Fri May 16 10:39:03 EDT 2003

Hi,

first: please try to use CR! Oh, I see, Outlook... forget it ;)

Now:

Is Snort loosing packets? What is the statistics saying? In Snort 2.0
the statistics seem to work good finally. Have you tried using
perfmonitor? How many packets is Snort "seeing"? Take off all the
machines and connect the tcpreplay-machine with the sensor with a
crossover cable. Don't worry, it will work. Try using more memory
on your sensor. Optimize your HD - Accoustic management off, UDMA5
transfer mode, 32Bit I/O-access, see hdparm --help. Try using 64Bit
machines. Try other NICs (3Com). Turn only unified logging on. Are you
using some IDS evasion techniques like insertion, fragmented packets,
fake resets or similar? Run as few processes on your sensor as
possible.

--
Edin Dizdarevic
Networking Unit

iAS interActive Systems
Gesellschaft fuer interaktive Medien mbH
Dieffenbachstr. 33c
10967 Berlin
Germany

fon     +49-(0)30 69 004-123