[Snort-users] Snort Signature Updates

Erek Adams erek at ...950...
Fri May 16 07:46:10 EDT 2003

On Thu, 15 May 2003, Steve An wrote:

> I am using oinkmaster and cron to update my signature regularly and
> sometimes I get this message.
>

> tar: rules/attack-responses.rules: time stamp 2003-05-15 10:15:29 is 28 s
> in the future
>
> tar: rules/attack-responses.rules: time stamp 2003-05-15 10:15:29 is 28 s
> in the future
>

> Is it some kind of timing mismatch between my server and the snort
> server?  The thing is I run the update every 15 minutes and I don't get
> this message all the time it's pretty random?  Any ideas?

Well, one--Stop wasting time and bandwidth.  ;-)  The rule tarballs are
updated once every 24 hours, so your every 15 minutes is a bit excessive.
:)

As for the time difference, I've no solid idea.  I'd _guess_ that either
your box or snort.org is using NTP to sync time and there is a bit of a
skew from your box to the website.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams