[Snort-users] Hi,

Jason Boykin getmesecure at ...131...
Thu May 15 06:31:10 EDT 2003

--- Derek Sherred <Dsherred at ...9185...> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have snort running on a linux 8.0 machine with two
> interfaces.  I
> want snort to initialize on the interface with no ip
> address, but it
> seems to default to the ip assigned interface.  How
> can I specify what
> interface snort initializes on?
>
> Thanks,
> Derek

use the -i switch.
An example would be
/usr/local/bin/snort -u snort -b -l /var/log/snort -d
-D -i eth1 -c /etc/snort/snort.conf

If you installed with an rpm there is probably a
startup script in /etc/init.d  It is usually called
snortd on the redhat rpm's.  Edit the script and look
for the line:
# Specify your network interface here
INTERFACE=eth1

That is the variable the script uses to start up on.
By default it is set to eth0.