[Snort-users] how to use snort in a switched environment

Carlos Felix snort at ...8664...
Wed May 14 07:16:05 EDT 2003

Jeremy,

you have an excellent switch for monitoring your network with snort (it’s
the same one I use in several sites). All you have to do is connect a
system to the console of your switch and configure the port that the Snort
system is connected into to SPAN what ever ports you are wanting to
monitor. Example lets say that your snort system is connected to port 24
and you want to monitor ports 1, 2, 3 and 5.
Go to an enable prompt, then enter the configuration mode, then issue the
following commands:

Interface f24
Port monitor f1-3 , f5
Exit
Exit

That is it. All the traffic from those ports will be replicated to port
24. You can monitor as many/few ports as you like.

Carlos