[Snort-users] Couldn't resolve hostname HOME_NET

Carlos Felix snort at ...8664...
Tue May 13 14:32:11 EDT 2003

Hi folks,

I am trying to research my current problem in the list archives but I am
coming up with a

******************************
Not Found
The requested URL /redir-sf.php3 was not found on this server.

Apache/1.3.27 Server at www.geocrawler.com Port 80
******************************

Any time I try to search the archives
(http://www.geocrawler.com/redir-sf.php3?list=snort-users) so I’ll ask a
question that likely has already been answered.

I have changed my snort.conf to define my home net as follows

<Snip>
var HOME_NET [10.0.0.66/27]

# Set up the external network addresses as well.
# A good start may be "any"

var EXTERNAL_NET !HOME_NET
</Snip>

but when I try to run snort with the following command line

/usr/sbin/snort -U -d -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -l /var/log/snort -i eth0

I get the following error

ERROR: ERROR /etc/snort/rules/bad-traffic.rules(12): Couldn't resolve
hostname HOME_NET
Fatal Error, Quitting..

Can anyone shed light into this? I am using the latest version of the
snort stable rules & have not modified them.

Carlos