[Snort-users] Anyone Use 3Com Gigabit Fiber-SX NIC?

Ricardo, Gerson gricardo at ...8098...
Fri May 9 11:03:03 EDT 2003

John,

Redhat Linux 7.3 kernel 2.4.18-27.7.xsmp on a Dell Poweredge 2650 Dual Xeon 2.4Ghz, etc..  It works like a charm.  The driver for it is a loadable module when you compile the kernel.  Driver support for it was crappy though - as you may know 3com dishes no native Linux driver for the 1000SX series - you have to get it from a) your linux distribution b) compile the source it from a disinterested open source project that hasn't been updated in years ( http://jes.home.cern.ch/jes/gige/acenic.html ).

Cheers,

Gerson

-----Original Message-----
From: John Crain [mailto:port123tcp at ...131...]
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 1:51 PM
To: Ricardo, Gerson; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Anyone Use 3Com Gigabit Fiber-SX NIC?

Gerson,

Thanks for the information.  What OS are you running?
--
John

"Ricardo, Gerson" <gricardo at ...8098...> wrote:

I use one to sniff a SPAN port for our main trunk VLAN. I have it inside a 64bit PCI slot running on a Dual 2.4Ghz Workhorse with 1GB DDR RAM and 2x 36GB 15K Cheetahs. Works like a charm! CPU utilization never goes above 10% usage. If you have any questions about it, please feel free to ask!

Gerson Ricardo
Gables Engineering, Inc.