[Snort-users] A question about flow:established keyword

Risto Vaarandi risto.vaarandi at ...5731...
Fri May 9 07:32:10 EDT 2003

Shadi Rostami wrote:
> Hello Eric,
> Thanks for your reply. This is the definition that I find for "established" in that chapter:
> "established
> trigger only on established TCP connections "
>
> It also says
> "The established keyword will replace the flags: A+ used in many places to show established TCP connections."
> However, it does not necessarily mean that "established" is the same as A+. I can say that "established" is a superset of A+. Because after 3-way handshaking is done,  and connection is established, all the packets would have Ack bit set.
> However, if you just send a single packet with Ack bit set (without establishing the connection), Snort will not look in that packet for signatures that has flow:established in them. Am I right?
>
> About 2-hour timeout, as you said it is a very long timeout, and I may end up keeping a lot of states that causes my stream4 engine to run out of memory.
> Also, an admin may not know about the timeout of all servers that accept tcp connections.

I run into the same problem recently and at least for me it looks like
that flags:A+ and established are not identical. For example, the
difference comes out when the snort is able to observe only the incoming
traffic, but not the outcoming. In that case flags:A+ will produce
alerts, while flow:established will not (this is what I have found when
playing with snort).

br,
risto