[Snort-users] disable /var/log/snort logging

L. Christopher Luther CLuther at ...6333...
Thu May 8 11:50:03 EDT 2003

Nick,

Sorry, I didn't it explain better -- let me try again.  Try the following in
snort.conf:

    output database: alert, mysql, user=snortusr password=fakepass
                     dbname=snort host=localhost
    output log_null

That is, you want *two* separate 'output ...' statements in snort.conf.

This should send the Snort alert facility to MySQL and the log facility to
NULL.  If this doesn't work, then me thinks me smells a bug.  ;)

Also, you shouldn't run Snort in daemon mode until you make sure things are
working.  It is my experience that Snort console messages are lost in daemon
mode, so the interactive mode will let you see messages Snort generates as
it parses and process the command line and snort.conf options.

- Christopher