[Snort-users] Snort with DHCP

Erek Adams erek at ...950...
Fri May 2 15:25:26 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Sadanapalli, Pradeep Kumar (MED, TCS) wrote:

> Thanks Erek for your nice explaination. So just to confirm ,if I add the
> below lines
>
> "var HOME_NET $eth0_ADDRESS" in snort.conf, along with other
> configuration lines and
>
> "/usr/local/bin/snort -i eth0 -l /var/log/snort/ -d -b -c
> /etc/snort/snort.cond -D -p "
>
> will meet my requirements that
> "running snort to watch the network traffic destined only to my machine
> and also taking care of the changing IP address
> in DHCP scenario"
>
> If I am wrong somewhere , please correct me.

Exactly.  You can also modify your command line to be a bit 'better'.  If
you are logging to binary (unified, pcap, or -b) then -d is a waste of
time.  No need since the packets are dumped as a whole.  You can also drop
the -p since it doesn't matter.  Only use the -p if you need to.  Since
you are a single node on a DHCP net, then promisc mode does not matter.
You'll still see broadcasts and ARP requests...

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams