[Snort-users] Promiscuous interface hacks?

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Thu May 1 15:57:38 EDT 2003

At 05:42 PM 5/1/2003 -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
>But once the bo is exploited, even if a root shell is obtained, how does
>the attacker then "get to" that shell?  Since there's no IP associated
>with it, I'm having trouble understanding how the attacker could then
>proceed to exploit the box.

This approach is exactly what I was discrediting when I said:

         Note that a buffer overflow need not be a plain jane "exec bin/sh
over the already established tcp session"...

You've got one example of a kind of buffer-overflow exploit code in mind..
he can execute ANY code he wants. No, really.. ANY code. exec /bin/sh is
just ONE possility.

Now constrain yourself to this:

If you can install and execute any code you want that is under 1kb in size,
can you gain control of the box?

Of course you can.

Think about it for a while.. here's a hint.. that code can always create a
brand new socket and connect to a custom-made server on your machine...
think of it as inverse telnet where the console is on the server side and
the shell is on the client side of the tcp connection.