[Snort-users] question about a receive-only ethernet cable

Thomas Templin templin at ...9019...
Mon Jun 30 16:34:06 EDT 2003

On Monday 30 June 2003 23:57, Frank Knobbe wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 13:33, Scott Renna wrote:
> > So I've found a few links and pages with information on how to
> > make a Receive-Only Ethernet cable.  I followed instructions
> > listed on one page that said to bond wire 1 and 3 together and
> > wire 2 and 6 together on one end, and remove the rest of
> > lengths of wires 1 and 2 from the cable. I'm not having luck
> > at all in getting it to work.
>
> Sounds almost like the cable in the Snort FAQ. Except that there
> is a connection between 1 and 3 and 2 and 6 on one side, and a
> loop back between 1 and 2 on the other. Perhaps your cable
> doesn't quite represent the diagram.
>
> Works for me on 10MB and 100MB hubs. May not work on dual-speed
> hubs and definitely doesn't work on switches :)
BTW. Even if its not a common use, aren't there any sniffing cables
ready to use which can be ordered?
For me its always a hassle to do this job. All of you who are 100%
red green blind will know what Im talking about :o)

Bye,
Thomas