[Snort-users] question about a receive-only ethernet cable

Frank Knobbe fknobbe at ...652...
Mon Jun 30 15:07:03 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 13:33, Scott Renna wrote:
> So I've found a few links and pages with information on how to make a
> Receive-Only Ethernet cable.  I followed instructions listed on one page
> that said to bond wire 1 and 3 together and wire 2 and 6 together on one
> end, and remove the rest of lengths of wires 1 and 2 from the cable.
> I'm not having luck at all in getting it to work.

Sounds almost like the cable in the Snort FAQ. Except that there is a
connection between 1 and 3 and 2 and 6 on one side, and a loop back
between 1 and 2 on the other. Perhaps your cable doesn't quite represent
the diagram.

Works for me on 10MB and 100MB hubs. May not work on dual-speed hubs and
definitely doesn't work on switches :)

Regards,
Frank